Review: The Other Prince



The Other Prince by Alice Dolman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

At first, I approached this book with scepticism because I wasn't sure whether it would captivate me. It seemed too reminiscent of the real-life English royal family, with a story centred around a dying 90-year-old queen, her son who ascends to the throne and his two sons, one serious and the other rakish, both reminiscent of their mother (there was a sister thrown in as a sidenote but you could be forgiven for forgetting she exists). Despite these reservations, I read on, and I'm grateful that I did.

While "The Other Prince" may not reinvent the wheel, its main character offers most people something to identify with. Once drawn into the story, I found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable journey. It's worth noting that this is a royal romance novel, so if this genre isn't your cup of tea, it may not be for you.

My only criticism is the development of the characters. The main character is relatable, but the supporting cast could have benefited from further exploration to breathe more life into the story.

Ultimately, "The Other Prince" isn't a groundbreaking must-read, but it offers a pleasant escape for anyone looking for a light, enjoyable read to pass the time.

View all my reviews

Comments

Top Weekly